Sunday, April 6, 2014

F is for Felt


I am guilty of being a willing participant in the upcycling repurposing trend.  Don’t judge me; It’s not like I’m pickling asparagus and trying to get you to buy them. 

I transform sweaters into blankets, among other things.  This weekend the sweaters I found at goodwill and a thrift store were felted, cut, sewn and repurposed into two soft iPad mini envelope covers for my son and I.  They’re awesome. 

I have made a couple full sized blankets and I’m working on another.  My son is certain I could crank out enough iPad mini covers to pay off the mortgage with my hefty etsy earnings.  

(note to self: keep receipts, craft a budget, look into what it takes to start an etsy business, calculate the shipping on a blanket, oooo sketch out budget ledger cover idea…)

I made the sweater blanket that's on my bed – there was no plan or pattern, I just kept experimenting and then added a border.  

The beauty of repurposed sweaters is they are so soft and warm, the palate is whatever you’ve found over the months of scouring the second hand stores, and each one is totally unique.  Plus they have a history, which is nice.




Mary Allison Tierney's essay The Gingerdreadman is included in the anthology Mamas Write, available at Amazon, or your local independent bookshop.
ok, this one was a quilt pattern. sue me.

4 comments:

  1. Upcycling is cool! (I'm a knitter. I love making things, so I encourage it in others.) Those are some awesome blankets. You should open an Etsy shop. (I have one myself. Feel free to pick my brain.)

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, thank you! I am looking into it... what's your shop name? I'm learning to steal the policy wording of successful sellers to sound like I know what I'm doing...Do things really sell? Do people play fair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your felted stuff looks great Upcycling is wonderful! The only problem, for me anyway, is that I'm a bit of a hoarder. I have a collection of thrift store/yard sale velvet that I've been planning to make something out of for about 5 years. I've had to give up yard sales because I drag too much home.
    Liz at Bead Contagion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz thank you! I don't understand this 'too much' concept you're talking about. Hoarding is just creating a palate to choose from, right?

    ReplyDelete